Makes about 2 1/2 cups of Hungarian Cherry Sauce or Cseresznye Martas
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
– 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
– 2 tablespoons of butter
– 1 pound of washed, stemmed, pitted sour cherries
– 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
– 1 teaspoon of sugar
– a pinch of salt
– 1/2 to 3/4 cup of half-and-half
– 2 tablespoons of sour cream
1. In a medium saucepan, lightly brown flour in butter. Add cherries, lemon juice, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
2. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of half-and-half and sour cream until smooth. If cherries have not given off a lot juices, you may need to use 3/4 cup of half-and-half instead of 1/2 cup.
3. Temper the sour cream mixture with a ladleful of the cherry sauce. Return the tempered sour cream mixture to the cherries, mix well and heat through on low for about 5 minutes. Serve warm, cold or at room temperature with chicken, potatoes or game meat.