Makes about 6 servings of Hungarian Cherry Cake – Cseresznyes Lepeny
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
– 1 pound of fresh, washed, stemmed and pitted sour cherries (left whole)
– 6 ounces of unsalted butter at room temperature
– 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
– 3 large eggs, separated
– 1 cup of all-purpose flour
– a pinch of salt
– 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
– vanilla sugar
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 10×6 inch rectangular tart pan, or a 9″ square or 9″ round cake pan and dust with bread crumbs.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and half the granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and continue creaming until well incorporated. Add the flour and salt, mixing well.
3. With clean, grease-free beaters, whip egg whites with remaining granulated sugar until stiff. Gently fold whites into cake batter.
4. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Top with cherries, stem side down. Bake 30 minutes. The batter will partially bubble up and cover the fruit. Cool in pan. Sprinkle with vanilla sugar. Cut into squares or wedges and serve.